The Children’s Ministry program at Unity Chapel helps to answer your child’s questions about God, the Bible and Jesus. Our program does it in a way that honors the many paths to God and the many ways to worship God, with instruction and learning that is firmly rooted in positive and progressive Christianity.
Our affirming environment fosters a positive self-image and personal responsibility while sharing unconditional love and acceptance.
With these ideals in mind, Unity Chapel is happy to welcome you and your children. We invite you to embrace a spiritual practice that can become your rock and foundation for the 21st century.
Our curriculum is based on Biblical and Unity principles and affirmations. We recognize that what we teach here are tools for a lifetime. Current curricula include:
- Celebrating My God Self – for children ages 4 to 6
- Celebrating My God Self – for children ages 7 – 10
- Children on the Quest – for children ages 11-13
- Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul as well as many real-life resources such as news, music, videos, magazines and books – for Y.O.U., ages 14 – 19
Retreats and Group Activities
Both our Uniteens and YOUers can attend retreats. Regular Sunday attendance and participation in service projects are requirements for eligibility for retreats. Uniteens and YOUers have two weekend retreats per year. YOUers also have a week-long summer retreat.
Unity’s Five Basic Principles for Children
1. God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.
2. I am naturally good because God’s divinity is in me and in everyone.
3. I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
4. Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.
5. I do and give my best by living the truth I know. I make a difference.
RESOURCES for PARENTS
Program Overview: Unity Family Matters on Unity Online Radio (Archives)
Good parenting doesn’t happen by default. It is intentional. It is a decision about who you will be and what you will do in your family life. Your hosts Rev. Jennifer and Ogun Holder want you to experience the “light” side of parenting — realizing your divine identity while raising your children to know they are “the light of God.” Every week we offer insight based upon Unity principles, talk with today’s prominent experts in spiritual parenting, and address your questions and comments from spiritual perspectives.
Our mission is not to entertain the children, but to call them out. To be always entertained is to be dwarfed and dependent. To be “called out” is to follow the harmonious law of the soul’s unfoldment. Who meddles with the rosebud? What fingers are deft enough to pry open that marvel of folded beauty? We are wise enough to leave it alone to follow the glad law of its own unfolding, but our children! Have we dealt as wisely with these buds of marvelous possibilities? Have we always remembered that they, too, must quicken and unfold through the innate law of their own genius?